- The SAT is a standardized test for admission to universities and colleges in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and Singapore.
- Two types of SAT tests: SAT-1 and SAT-2, with a total score of 400 to 1600.
- One must have an expected average score range of around 1200 to 1350 to get admission.
The Scholastic Aptitude Test known as the SAT, is an entrance test for universities and colleges in the United States. The SAT has now been redesigned as a SAT Reasoning Test that focuses on the candidate’s skills, knowledge and understanding. This blog will take you through the best American colleges and their respective SAT limits for easier understanding.
SAT Exam Highlights
Generally, those who take the exam are high school students who are currently pursuing higher education. Here are some highlights of the SAT exam:
- The eligibility criteria for the 2022 SAT Exam is that test takers must have completed high school or grade 12. There is no minimum or maximum age criterion for the exam, but most students who apply for the exam are in the 17 to 19 age group.
- SAT is conducted offline every year in India in October, November, December, January, May and June.
- The SAT is a 3 hour written exam.
- These include math tests, reading tests, writing tests, and language tests.
- Scores range from 400 to 1600.
- SAT fees are $52 to $68, with non-US regional fees $49.
- There is no limit to the number of times you give the test.
- SAT score reports are usually available online within 2 weeks of the exam.
- SAT Exam Types:
SAT 1 Exam: This includes Reading Comprehension, Math, Language Talent, and essay sections.
SAT 2 or SAT Subject Exams: In this case, students are required to prove their proficiency in various subjects. There are 20 optional subjects, including chemistry, mathematics, biology (Ecology/Molecular), literature, modern Hebrew, etc.
2022 SAT Exam Date
The SAT test dates for the 2022-2023 session for Indian students are:
- March 12, 2022
- May 7, 2022
- June 4, 2022
- 27 August 2022
- October 1, 2022
- November 5, 2022
- December 3, 2022
SAT scores are a little tricky to understand. The exam paper consists of three sections, Reading, Writing, and Mathematics. These sections are first graded with their raw scores. Then this raw score is checked and calculated based on the answers given by the students. Also, they have an optional essay section.
All questions have one sign each, and no negative sign. Raw scores are converted to scale scores to calculate SAT scores. An SAT score from 1200 to 1210, which is the 75th percentile, is considered a good score. Percentile rankings are meant to compare scores across all candidates. It shows the percentage of candidates who scored at or below the best candidate score.
A high SAT score means candidates can thrive in the fiercely competitive environment of college. Universities like Harvard and MIT ask for an SAT score of 1500.
2022 SAT Deadline
Although the College Board has not set any SAT limits, to get into a top university, one must score within a certain range. When you apply to any university or college, you should check the required SAT scores. In addition, there are other factors that affect the admission process, including transcripts with a good academic background or GPA, skills, extracurricular activities, letters of recommendation, and scores on English language proficiency tests, such as ACT, TOEFL, or IELTS scores.
Applicants can view the College Board’s predictions for SAT scores cut at a particular university. The minimum passing score for the SAT exam is 400. The maximum score a candidate can achieve is 1600, with 800 in each section – mathematics, evidence-based reading and writing (EBRW). The SAT exam limits by category for top colleges and universities are
- Combined score (no essay): Over 1400
- Math: Above 530
- Evidence Based Reading and Writing Section: Over 500
Candidates in the 1200 to 1350 range who fall within the 75 to 90 percentile range may be considered suitable for the maximum university admission requirements. A score of 1500 is considered the 99th percentile, which implies excellent performance.
Best US Universities and 2022 SAT Exam Limits
To get into a highly competitive college, one needs to get a 75th percentile score. Here is a list of the average SAT cut off scores with 25-75th percentile scores from the top US universities and colleges:
|University Name||QS World Ranking, 2022||25th to 75th Percentile SAT Score||Average SAT Limit|
|University of California, Berkeley||4||1310-1530||1420|
|Johns Hopkins University||10||1470-1570||1520|
|University of Chicago||26||1500-1570||1530|
|University of Illinois, Urbana Champaign||32||1450-1550||1500|
|California Institute of Technology||45||1530-1560||1545|
Previously, the SAT exam was known as the Scholastic Aptitude Test or the Scholastic Assessment Test. But today, it is known as the SAT reasoning test. Tests are administered and administered by the College Board to check the skills, abilities and knowledge of test takers for admission to colleges and universities. This test is valid for college admissions in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia and Singapore.
There are two types of the SAT test. SAT 1 has three subjects – Reading, Writing and Math with an optional essay section. While SAT 2 has 20 subjects and tells about student proficiency in the chosen subject. To get into well-known colleges like the University of Cambridge, MIT, Yale, and Princeton, one needs to score an SAT score above 1500.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How many SAT scores are considered good grades?
Answer: Good SAT scores vary for different colleges and universities. Once you have decided on the particular university or college you wish to apply for, check the desired score range. You have to learn accordingly.
Another factor that influences SAT scores is the national average. If your score is close to the national average, you will have more options to choose from. It is best to study for a target score above 1400 to get into your dream college.
2. What is an optional exam or blind college exam?
Answer: The optional college test allows students to decide whether or not they want to submit their SAT scores. They will consider the score if you submit it. While test-blind colleges don’t consider scores even if you submit them.
3. How to submit SAT scores for college or university admission?
Answer: Each candidate gets a free copy of the SAT scorecard. They can send a copy of this to the college or university they wish to apply to within nine days. After nine days, they will be charged. Also, if you want to send copies to more than four colleges, you can request copies for a fee.
The score can be used to apply for a scholarship. Also, when you prepare for the SAT, you increase your knowledge which helps to complete other competitive exams like ACT, TOEFL, etc.
4. Can we get into undergraduate programs without taking the SAT exam?
Answer: There are universities and colleges with optional SAT tests for admission. Here is a list of universities that no longer require the SAT for Indian students:
- California Institute of Technology: Blind Test for 2022
- University of Adelphi: Optional test for 2022
- University of Arizona: Permanently optional test
- Boston University: Optional test for 2022
- Brown University: Optional test for 2022
- American University: Permanently optional test
- Cornell University: Optional test for 2022
- George Washington: Permanently optional test